Monday, February 21, 2005

A Farewell to Mr. Duke

Like most people, my first introduction to Thompson was Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which I read when I was a senior in high school. A lot of people I knew were entranced solely by the unbelievable tales of drug and alcohol consumption, but for me all of that was secondary. What fascinated me was his style. He was hysterical, biting, over-the-top; he pulled no punches; he was "punk" before the word had any real meaning (and he remained it even after it lost what meaning it had). I began reading everything of his I could get my hands on: The Great Shark Hunt, Generation of Swine, Hell's Angels, Better than Sex, all amazing and frantic works. For me, though, his best work (and my fifth favorite book of all time) was Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72. It is the best book I've ever read about the American political process and should be mandatory in every college Intro to Political Scinece class. Thompson covered issues and events in a way that nobody else would, cutting through the bullshit to get to the heart of the matter. And he made it (gonzo journalism) seem so easy. When I would write back in those days, it was his voice that I would ape, using it as a flashlight to find my own.

A lot of people regarded the good Doctor as a wholly cynical creature, but those people just weren't paying attention. I think one of the reasons he spoke to me so much back then, and still does today, is because no matter what absurdities he saw transpire in the world of politics, and how angry or frustrated they made him, he always believed that the American people wouldn't let themselves be hoodwinked by "those bastards". He was a sturdy and consistant voice of dissent in a media that is filled to the brim with spineless fuck wits, and he was needed more than ever. What did he know that would make him do this? What finally made this fearless son of a bitch cash in his chips? It's a good question, but one for another day. There will be time for such contemplations for when the expense accounts run out. Rest in peace, Doc.

No comments:

Post a Comment