Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Tales from the Nation - Day Two

Sunday was a much lower key affair than Saturday. Spending all that time in the sun had taken a lot out of us so we decided to set up our home base somewhere in the shade this time. That was fine by me. There weren't as many bands playing that day that I was pumped about seeing so I didn't feel the need to be in the middle of the action. I got to the park just in time to see Dugen, who were quite good, though their set was pretty short. Andrew Bird was also really good and the Wrens were awesome. I could've done without The Hold Steady and I thankfully missed most of those English major limp dicks the Decemberists.

The best part of the day, though, had to be the DJ set by Diplo. I had seen him before when he opened up for Rjd2 last year and thought he was really good. He played a lot of cool mash ups and remixes and his original stuff wasn't bad either. I wasn't really prepared for what he had in store this time. He totally ripped it. He got the crowd moving quickly and didn't let up. Even some serious technical difficulties (mike trouble, speakers sounding like they could blow at anytime) didn't hold him back. He's certainly the best DJ to dance to that I've seen in a long time. It would've been nice if more of Pedro could've been there, but B-unit and I held it down. Next time he comes to town, though, you best believe we are all over that shit.

All in all, the festival was a success. The only bad things about it were the heat, the long food lines (no lines for beer, however) and the tool box announcer that took the stage between each band (he got a little better on Sunday, but I think that's because he was starting to lose his voice). Everything else was awesome. I certainly felt like I got my $21 dollars worth. I also don't really see the need to go to Lollapalooza this weekend. I don't really think it's going to be able to compete, so why spend another weekend standing in the sun all day? I don't need to see Widespread that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment